Thursday, September 24, 2009

Don't Lie Mr. Wells we know you had Mickey Mouse sheets when you were a little boy.

Wells never outwardly said that the orthodox style of cel animation is bad, but his tone sure did. I thought his comparison between experimental animation and orthodox animation was accurate, like that chart he made, yes that was good, and easy to read. Yes, traditional animation is narrative, easy to understand, and completely easy to watch. I gathered from this reading that Wells thinks this a sophomoric way to animate.

I grew up watching Disney films and cartoons. I love them. I can remember watching the Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, and 101 Dalmatians over and over again if I was home from school sick. In fact, I own two VCRs just so I can still watch my Disney VHS tapes either in the living room or my bedroom. For as much as Wells seems to poo-poo classic cartoons, they sure are popular.

As a very amateur animator myself, I think I can offer a unique perspective. I don’t animate like the orthodox Disney model. I’m not even sure what you’d call my style of animation, but it sure doesn’t scream Donald Duck. I don’t think Wells would go so far as to call experimental either. I like alternative forms of animation and that’s also how I like to animate. I like watching Robot Chicken late at night, but every now and then it’s fun to watch Fantasia too. Thinking outside of the box when trying to animate is something that is really fun, like using a scanner, or still photography.

I feel Wells’ frustration with the lack of mainstream experimental animation. But honestly, I don’t think there is a market for it outside of the film festival/art community circuit. Which is sad, because there are some awesome animated films that never get the fame they deserve. What I gathered from Wells’ “Theory on Animation” was almost like every other article I’ve read that compares a classic model for cinema versus the cinema of the filmmakers who try to stick it to the man.

Yes I will let my children watch Disney cartoons, but I will also throw in a little Harry Smith, just to blow their minds a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment