Thursday, September 3, 2009

If you think you have synesthesia, you're more likely just a hypochondriac

A friend of my family's, who works with autistic children, once told me, "We're all somewhere on the spectrum."

That's all I could think I about while reading the Wikipedia article on synesthesia. I thought certain aspects of the condition would be a burden. For example the gustatory synesthesia would be terrible! To have phantom tastes in your mouth whenever you think about something. What if every time you thought about pie, you'd taste spoiled milk? That'd be horrible. Or if you were married to someone with a name that conjured and association with cat pee.

Most of the others, the visual, musical, and numerical forms seemed really fun. Then I began thinking that I might be a synethete. Hah! So I googled a test for it. Most of the tests just seemed fake, then a couple I came across seemed to tell you a little something about the way your brain worked. But I can't count the results accurate, because I was anticipating the brain test. Not that I was willing myself to hear/see things, but maybe the results would be skewed because I was actively looking or thinking about synesthesia. Here are the links to the tests I took:

While the results may be flawed, it's still fun to think of yourself as possibly extra-perceptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment